Description
The Church of San Nicola (formerly the Madonna di Copecchia) stands in an isolated position on the Copecchia hill, next to the Agriano cemetery, from which it overlooks the entire upland plain. Originally a simple chapel, in 1598 it was given to the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament.
The gabled façade is in white stone. The Renaissance portal culminates with a tympanum and has pilasters and jambs decorated with classic motifs; in the lunette is a bas-relief Madonna and Child (the work of Lombard stoneworkers, dated 1577).
The interior has 5 altars in a single space with an apse, from the 15th century. On the right wall is the Altar of St. Joseph, with a canvas by Giuseppe Cesari, known as Cavalier d`Arpino; it portrays the Savior and Saints John the Baptist, Joseph and the Archangel Michael (17th cent.). The high altar has a Madonna and Child (Madonna of Capecchia) from the 15th century. On the left wall is the altar of the Madonna of Loreto with Saints John and Anthony of Padua (17th cent.).